6th Grade Instrumental (Band and String Orchestra)
6th Grade instrumental students are expected to provide their own instruments. Rental information has been sent home with your child. All instrumental students must have their instrument and book by September 16th.
The majority of your child’s grade is based on classroom participation and performance. It is crucial that they bring their instrument and book to class every time they have music. Failing to do so will negatively impact your child’s grade. We have 2 major performances on the calendar. Please mark these dates:
- Winter Concert, December 11th , 2014 at Cooper (6:30 PM)
- Band-O-Rama, February 25th, 2015 at Franklin High School (7:00 PM)
- Winter Concert, December 11th, 2014 at Cooper Elementary (6:30 PM)
- String Fling, April 1st, 2015 at Stevenson High School (7:00 PM)
In order to be successful, students must practice at home. It is best to start this routine when excitement is high so that good habits are established early on. 10 to 15 minutes, 3 times a week is a great place to start. As your child builds skill and endurance, this time should increase.
6th Grade Vocal Performing Music
We will have several concerts and programs throughout the school year. It will be expected that all students attend all performances unless excused with a written note from a parent or guardian. Please mark your calendars with the following dates:
- Halloween Concert, October 29th, 2014 at Emerson Middle School (7:00 PM)
- Triad Vocal Concert, February 23rd, 2015 at Franklin High School (7:00 PM)
- 6th Grade Musical, (VOLUNTARY) March 31st, 2015 at Cooper Elementary (7:00 PM)
All evening choir performances start at 7:00 PM – some concerts also have day-time assemblies, those will be TBD.
The majority of each student’s grade will be based on classroom participation. In vocal performing music we will learn how to sing with proper diction, good posture, and breath-support. Each child is expected to participate during all classroom activities and will be graded accordingly.